Mount Meru Climb & Hike is the best for acclimatization prior to Mount Kilimanjaro climbing. Mount Meru is located in the heart of Arusha National Park and it is 50 miles west of Mt. Kilimanjaro. Mount Meru is a massive volcano reaching 14,980 feet (4,565 meters). This trek serves as an ideal warm up for Mt. Kilimanjaro due to its altitude acclimatization and hiking distances. This trek is also geared towards hikers that prefer less crowds and a challenging ascent.
Day 1 Arusha to Momela Gate then Meriakamba Hut
- (Elevation (m): (1,387 m to (1,500 m), Elevation (ft): 4,921 ft) to 3,000 ft ), Distance: 10 km, Hiking Time: 4-6 hours, Habitat: Montane Forest)
- We drive from Arusha to Momela Gate. After a short registration at the Gate our walk will begin with full armed ranger escorting us, simply we can see along the way the wild animals including elephants, zebras, and giraffe, monkeys, antelope, and often elephants along the route. Dinner and overnight night at Miriakamba Hut.
Day 2 Meriakamba Hut to Saddle Hut
- (Elevation (m): 2,514 m to 3,570 m, Elevation (ft): 8,250 ft to 11,712 ft, Distance: 8 km, Hiking Time: 3-5 hours, Habitat: Forest and Moorland)
- The walk from Miriakamba Hut to the saddle below Little Meru is a short day but a steep climb. The walk will take us slowly along the ridge for a spectacular view of the Meru Crater and the impressive Ash Cone. After hot lunch at Saddle Hut we can make a short climb to the summit of Little Meru (3,820m) for superb views just before sunset. Dinner and overnight at Saddle Hut.
Day 3 Summit Day
- (Elevation (m): 3,570 m to 4,565m to 2,514m, Elevation (ft): 14,977ft to 11,712 ft to 8,250ft, Distance: 5 km up 13 km down, Hiking Time: 12 – 14 hours, Habitat: Alpine Desert Moorland and Montane forest)
- We start early at around 1:30 a.m. to climb steeply to Rhino Point (3,800 m.) and on to Cobra Point (4350m). We reach the summit (4,566 m) for sunrise there is a possibility to see Kilimanjaro Peak above the clouds. The final part of the climb is along a spectacular narrow ridgeline between the sheer inner cliffs and the sloping outer wall of the crater. We take a short rest and brunch at Saddle Hut before continuing the descent to the Momella gate. The returning transfer will be waiting at Momella Gate to pick you to your hotel in Arusha.
- A professional driver/guide
- Rescue fee
- Park fees for non-residents
- All activities unless the activity is labeled as optional
- All accommodation unless it is listed as an upgrade
- Camping equipment
- All transportation unless labeled as optional
- All Taxes/VAT
- Meals as specified in the day-by-day section
- Drinking water on all days
- Sleeping bag
- Bath towels
- Climbing gear
- International flights from and to your home
- Additional accommodation before and at the end of the tour
- Tips(Tipping guideline US$10.00 pp per day)
- Personal items such as souvenirs, travel insurance, visa fees, etc.
- Government imposed increase of taxes and/or park fees
- Some meals(As specified in the day-by-day section)